Saturday, January 2, 2016

Accidental Genius

So, I'm a hardcore maker of playlists. As a child of the eighties, it started with mix tapes and progressed from there.

A few weeks ago, I put together a really hard, metal-heavy mix primarily for weights at the gym. 

I was surprised to discover on the first play that my mix had an accidental inclusion on the fourth track.

Pat's Lifting Mix: Opening Act

1. Pantera - Walk
2. A Perfect Circle - Judith
3. Megadeth - Trust
4. Madonna - Borderline

I can only blame making the mix late at night. No freaking idea how the Material Girl got on there. Maybe it was fate.

Initially thought to myself, "I'll fix this when I get home."

But I kept not fixing it. It became an integral part of the thing. Over time, I realized the really bizarre thing: It totally works.

Didn't understand it until I saw other people listen to that part of the mix.

I absolutely loved watching the first three cuts get peoples' pulse pounding, followed by the bewilderment of Borderline. After the initial "Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot. Over?" the chemical cocktail from the hard songs gave people a strange little "fuck yeah!" that makes Borderline work where it should absolutely be a critical failure.

I can only think the first guy or gal who dipped a French fry in a Wendy's chocolate frosty felt the same magical rush of discovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment